Thursday, March 28, 2013

"But Not Everything Has a Name"

So says my friend - and she is right! But in a French-themed coffee shop in Vancouver the other day, I did wonder about the difference between these two sentences:

"That is my dessert plan."
"That is the plan of the dessert."
(Just for the record, my plan involved chocolate, bread, and cappuccino).

And she agreed that it seems like there should be a name for this, for changing the first formulation into the second, for making the noun "dessert plan" into a prepositional phrase. A name other than, "Making it more awesome," that is. Imagine if Coleridge hadn't deployed this device? We'd have "The Ancient Mariner Rime" instead. And also: "The Ape Planet," which would inspire way less foreboding. I could go on, but I will spare you.   

1 comment:

  1. Belated comment, but thanks for making me feel famous! Secret famous, b/c you didn't mention my name, which is actually the best kind of famous, in my opinion. Is there a name for secret famous? Sincerely, you know who.

    ReplyDelete